Hovercraft ride on top of the water by using jets of air to propel them. You can make a simple hovercraft to see how it works.
To make a hovercraft you need:
- a large balloon
- two old CDs
- Tear off pieces of tape and stick them on the edge of the table you are working on, ready for use.
- Put the two CDs together to make your hovercraft platform.
- Poke the nipple of the balloon through the hole in the CDs.
- Blow up the balloon and hold the valve shit with one hand.
- With your other hand, loosely tape the balloon to the CDs.
- Keep holding the balloon valve shut and place the hovercraft close to the floor.
- Let go of the valve and your hovercraft will glide just over the surface of the floor.
- Balloons can be all sizes, so if your hovercraft doesn’t work, experiment. Add a paperclip to slow down the airflow out of the balloon, or use three CDs, not two.
- Fun Science Activities for Kids – used with permission