Watching a kite soar high on the wind is a magical site. Here are the directions on how to make a kite and harness the power of the wind.
To make a kite you need:
- a green or white garbage bag
- about 7 meters of string
- some duct tape
- 2 sticks, on 90 cm, the other 75 cm
- kite string (can be bought at a hardware store)
- Make a cross with the two sticks. Put the shorter stick 18 cm from the top of the longer stick and lash where they meet together with string.
- Make a string diamond on the sticks by wrapping the string around the perimeter of the cross and tying it to each end of the sticks.
- Slit the garbage bag around its edges to creat two large sheets of plastic.
- Place the kite frame onto one sheet of plastic.
- Fold the plastic snugly over the string and tape it down firmly.
- Tie a 3 1/2 meter tail of string to the bottom of the kite.
- Cut the remaining piece of green garbage bag into ten strips.
- Tie a strip every 30 cm on the tail.
- Attach the kit string to the kite’s center, and fly away!
- Fun Science Activities for Kids – used with permission