Starting with Engineering as the center of the universe, all the other subjects are supporting players. Scientists discover things that engineers use to provide a solution to a social need.
- Engineering thinking – making ‘things’ that work and making ‘things’ work better
An engineer is a clever, practical, problem solver.
- Engineer – A person who uses scientific knowledge and principles to develop solutions to technical problems. The words engine, engineer and ingenious come from Latin, meaning “skilled”.
- What is Engineering? (video 6:20) – From fundamental research to everyday tech, engineers create incredible new solutions and discoveries to improve society and spur the imagination.
- NASA video Intro to Engineering (video ) describes the engineering design process, building space suit and repairing space station as examples.
- The Difference Between Science and Engineering (video 5:31) – both inquiry problem solving. goals: science – produce more knowledge, natural world vs. engineering – design solutions to problems, design challenge, human made technologies
a kid-friendly exploration of everything engineering as a collection of stories about people, places and things, design challenges, projects, games
- stories – about objects, structures, stuff that is “engineered”
- problems, engineering terms, keywords
- engineering projects you can do
- learn more – links to more information
- explore – use the Search to find things or specific words
This is engineering … structures theme, other stuff, examples
- Statue of Liberty, Surface tension, Adjustable wrench, Moveable type, [Golden Gate Bridge], [/Inclined%20Plane Inclined Plane], [/Waterslides Waterslides], [/Lever Lever], [/Bridges Bridges], [/Solar%20energy Solar energy], [/Aeronautics Aeronautics], [/Urban%20rooftop%20agriculture Urban rooftop agriculture], [/Wind%20power Wind power], [/Photography Photography], [/International%20Space%20Station International Space Station], [Vacuum flask]
- [Ocean engineering] – also [Woods Hole], [ Autonomous Surface Vehicles (ASVs)], [Underwater robots], [/Pressure Pressure], [/Marine%20research Marine research]
engineering 4 kids
- feec, ucf stem
Bee-Bot Home Page Bee-Bot is an exciting little robot designed for use by young children. This colorful, easy-to-operate, and friendly li…
- 10 activities
spatial visualization newspaper geodesic dome * pbs * structures Cardboard Chair Project – Inspiration for making a chair from a 4&…
- Adjustable wrench
Wrench – a tool used to provide a mechanical advantage in applying torque to turn bolts, nuts or other hard-to-turn items. open-end…
- [/About%20engineering4kids About engineering4kids] – the human-made world around us, creating things for the benefit of humanity and our planet.
- [/Working%20in%20Engineering Working in Engineering] – Engineering is the application of science to the needs of humanity. This is accomplished through the application of knowledge, mathematics, and practical experience to the design of useful objects or processes. Professional practitioners of engineering are called engineers. Meet the engineers and see what they do.
- [/e4k%20overview e4k overview] for teachers, parents