“Knots” by What Indie Nights is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0
Knot: an intentional complication in cordage which may be useful or decorative.
Practical knots may be classified as hitches, bends, splices, or knots.
- a hitch fastens a rope to another object
- a bend unites two rope ends
- a splice is a multi-strand bend or loop
A knot in the strictest sense serves as a stopper or knob at the end of a rope to keep that end from slipping through a grommet or eye.
- Untangling the mechanics of knots | MIT News
- new knot theory may provide guidelines for choosing certain knot configurations for a given load-bearing application, such as braided ste…
- Color-Changing Material Unites the Math and Physics of Knots | Quanta Magazine
- a new way of visualizing the forces inside tangled fibers to revisit an ancient question: What makes some knots stronger than others?Scie…
- Physics may reveal how to tie the perfect knot | Science | AAAS
- As any sailor or climber knows, the strength of a knot depends very much on the knot’s configuration. For example, suppose you want t…