Basics of solar efficiency for using solar power for providing electricity for home use
Solar batteries – Solar batteries allow homes and businesses to store solar power to use in the hours of darkness and can also help to create “smart grids” that react to sudden power swings and free stored energy when needed. Solar batteries use either lead-acid or lithium-ion.
There are many innovative solutions coming along to help provide electricity to more homes around the world
- Smart Microgrid system comprises renewable-based generation infrastructure installed locally in the village [usually solar panels on a cellphone tower], and a smart electricity distribution system. The microgrid is powered by a centralized collection of solar panels, which convert sustainable solar energy to direct current electricity. The system stores surplus energy, making it accessible during peak times, safeguarding constant access to the grid. To order to avoid energy theft, and needlessly excessive consumption, homes are fitted with smart meters. The bills can be prepaid in small increments of $1, meaning that it’s affordable to all.
Harnessing the power of the sun
Solar panels are becoming increasingly effective as a means of capturing energy from the sun so it can be used as a power source. The sun sends out more energy than is needed to power everything on earth. Engineers are working to design and build solar panels but so far, the panels cost too much for the power they capture, so these are not good enough for general use. Once solar panel technologies has been improved, sun power can be used to charge batteries for later use, provide electricity to homes and cities, power cars and ships.
- Ask – What are some of the problems with using solar power for homes right now?
- Imagine – What innovations are needed for everyone to use solar power for electricity in homes?
- Design, Build – Are there solar panels in use near where your live? Are they used for homes? For business?
- photovoltaic cells – photovoltaic meaning literally “light-electricity”. Solar cells or PV cells rely on the photovoltaic effect to absorb the energy of the sun and cause current to flow between two oppositely charged layers. A solar cell, or photovoltaic cell, a semiconductor device consisting of a large-area p-n junction diode, which, in the presence of sunlight is capable of generating usable electrical energy.
- thermal energy of sunlight can also be captured and used for water heating and space heating; various active solar methods are used to collect heat from sunlight and store it for later use.
- Solar, storage, demand, capacity, renewable, lead-acid batteries, lithium-ion batteries, fusion
- Conduction, Convection, Radiation, Transfer, Vibration, Medium, Frequency, Amplitude, Pitch, Loudness, Wavelength, Longitudinal Wave, Transverse Wave, Trough, Crest, Rarefaction, Compression, Electromagnetic, Disturbance
Here are some challenges for you to work on…
- using the information provide by SRoeCo Solar, determine what is necessary to use solar power for your home.
- Feel the Heat – create and improve on a solar water heater
- Energy guide – What is energy? Heat and work. Where do we get energy from? And how we all need the Sun. What are fuels? How do people get energy from them? What’s the problem? Pollution.
- Solar energy structures – more structures using solar energy in interesting ways
- Starship impulse engine – a fusion reaction between these atoms, and therefore releasing a big explosion of fusion energy – more than it took to activate
- Renewable Energy: Top 5 Trends to Watch in 2013 While early adopters were quick to jump on the renewable energy bandwagon for sustainability reasons, the rising cost of traditional energy has spurred growth in wind and solar.
- SRoeCo Solar – information and calculators for consumers considering home solar installation, efficiency