Helium balloons – helium is lighter than air at ambient temperature, and that explains why helium balloons rise when they are let loose.
Helium-filled balloons are widely used
- advertising – tethered helium balloons
- meteorological studies – NASA’s Scientific Ballooning Program
- atmospheric studies – NOAA ozone layer research
What do you think?
- Have you had a balloon filled with helium? How is it different from a balloon filled with air that you blew up yourself?
- Why are researchers using helium-filled balloons to lift instruments high above the earth?
- ambient temperature, pressure, gases, density