The nail, second millennium b.c. – “Extended lives by enabling people to have shelter.” — Leslie Berlin
Construction – in the fields of architecture and civil engineering, the process of the building or assembling of infrastructure. Large scale construction is a feat of human multitasking. Normally, the job is managed by a project manager, and supervised by a construction manager, design engineer, construction engineer or project architect.
Design, finance, and legal aspects overlap and interrelate. The design must be not only structurally sound and appropriate for the use and location, but must also be financially possible to build, and legal to use. The financial structure must accommodate the need for building the design provided, and must pay amounts that are legally owed. The legal structure must integrate the design into the surrounding legal framework, and enforces the financial consequences of the building construction process.
Green building – roofs, walls, energy efficient, sustainable
Meet an engineer
- Barbara A. Res, Professsional Engineer – Res Construction Services LLC – Since I liked electricity in physics, I decided to pursue Electrical Engineering and I ended up working in construction. My coolest assignment was being in charge of construction of the Trump Tower on 5th Avenue in New York City. By the time I went to work for Trump, I had been an assistant project manager, draftsperson, Mechanical Superintendent and Superintendent on various construction projects. I had a complete knowledge of all trades and was adept at management.
What’s the problem?
Housing and work spaces have to be constructed to be appropriate for their intended use.
- Ask – How will the building space be used? Will people live in the building? Is safety regulated locally or state-wide? What are the cost considerations associated with the designed use?
- Imagine – How can the design requirements be achieved? Is there an opportunity to utilize materials that will provide long-term benefits to the owner and the users of the space?
- Design, Build – Throughout the design and build stages, how are materials and methods used to reduce cost of building and operation?
- Improve – What design considerations can be improved upon, for later implementation?
- HVAC (pronounced”H-VAK”) stands for “heating, ventilation and air-conditioning”. This is sometimes referred to as climate control. These three functions are closely interrelated, as they control the temperature and humidity of the air within a building in addition to providing for smoke control, maintaining pressure relationships between spaces, and providing fresh air for occupants. In modern building designs, the design, installation and control systems of these functions are integrated into a single “HVAC” system.
- heating, ventilation, air-conditioning, control, temperature, humidity, smoke detector, pressure, insulation, energy efficiency, sustainable
Here are some challenges for you to work on…
- find new and innovative materials and construction methods that are improving the safety and costs of building construction.