Clothing is fibre and textile material worn on the body. The wearing of clothing is mostly restricted to human beings and is a feature of nearly all human societies. The amount and type of clothing worn depends on physical, social and geographic considerations.
Physically, clothing serves many purposes: it can serve as protection from the elements, and can enhance safety during hazardous activities such as hiking and cooking. It protects the wearer from rough surfaces, rash-causing plants, insect bites, splinters, thorns and prickles by providing a barrier between the skin and the environment. Clothes can insulate against cold or hot conditions. Further, they can provide a hygienic barrier, keeping infectious and toxic materials away from the body. Clothing also provides protection from harmful UV radiation.
- animal – preparation – skinning, tanning, shearing
- cloth making – spinning, weaving
- garment making – stitching, sewing
- bonding, sealing
- Spray-On Clothing Could Deliver a Suit in a Can. Start-up develops fiber-laden sartorial aerosol that can be styled and worn
- protection, hazardous, barrier, insulate, hygienic, toxic materials, UV radiation