- engineers are creative problem-solvers
- engineers make a world of difference; engineers help shape the future
- engineering is essential to our health, happiness, and safety
Welcome to Engineering 4 Kids!
Starting with Engineering as the center of the universe, all the other subjects are supporting players.
Scientists discover things that engineers use to provide a solution to a social need.
An engineer is a clever, practical, problem solver.
Engineering thinking – making ‘things’ that work and making ‘things’ work better
- Engineer – A person who uses scientific knowledge and principles to develop solutions to technical problems. The words engine, engineer and ingenious come from Latin, meaning “skilled”.
- [What is Engineering?] (video 6:20) – From fundamental research to everyday tech, engineers create incredible new solutions and discoveries to improve society and spur the imagination.
- NASA video Intro to Engineering (video ) describes the engineering design process, building space suit and repairing space station as examples.
- The Difference Between Science and Engineering (video 5:31) – both inquiry problem solving. goals: science – produce more knowledge, natural world vs. engineering – design solutions to problems, design challenge, human made technologies
a kid-friendly exploration of everything engineering as a collection of stories about people, places and things, design challenges, projects, games
- stories – about objects, structures, stuff that is “engineered”
- problems, engineering terms, keywords
- engineering projects you can do
- learn more – links to more information
- explore – use the Search to find things or specific words
This is engineering …
structures theme, other stuff, examples
Statue of Liberty, Surface tension, Adjustable wrench,
Moveable type, Golden Gate Bridge, Inclined Plane, Waterslides, Lever, Bridges, Solar energy, Aeronautics, Urban rooftop agriculture, Wind power, Photography, International Space Station, Vacuum flask
Ocean engineering – also Woods Hole, Autonomous Surface Vehicles (ASVs), Underwater robots, Pressure, Marine research
Women in Engineering * 
engineering 4 kids
…more engineering 4 kids news, updates, activities
- About engineering4kids – the human-made world around us, creating things for the benefit of humanity and our planet.
- Working in Engineering – Engineering is the application of science to the needs of humanity. This is accomplished through the application of knowledge, mathematics, and practical experience to the design of useful objects or processes.
- Professional practitioners of engineering are called engineers. Meet the engineers and see what they do.
- e4k overview for teachers, parents
- Learn more… e4k – links to recent articles, news updates in the field of engineering
- Brain Bowl – Engineering and STEM questions, facts, resources