To make a windmill you need:
- a 15 cm by 15 cm square piece of thin cardboard
- a large fat plastic straw
- two straightened paperclips
- a nail
- Fold your thin piece of cardboard diagonally and then diagonally again.
- Cut down each fold towards the center, stopping about 2 cm from the center.
- Poke a hole in the center of the cardboard with the nail. Poke holes in the top right corner of each cut triangle as you turn the square in your hand. Each triangle should have just one hole. If you make a mistake, don’t worry. The windmill will still work.
- Hold the two straightened paperclips together and bend one end up. Poke them through one end of the straw. Push them to the bent end until they can’t go any further. Poke the paperclips through the center hole of the cardboard.
- Fold down alternating corners of the cut triangles and poke the paperclips through the holes.
- When all the alternating four corners of the triangles are pushed down onto the paperclips at the center of the cardboard, separate the paperclips and bend them apart, to secure what is now a windmill. Blow on your windmill and make any adjustments so it spins easily.