Make a boat and watch it zoom! The following instructions are for a simple boat. Jazz it up with things you find around the house.
To make a moving boat you need:
- 5 popsicle sticks
- an elastic band
- Make a flat square out of four popsicle sticks and lash the corners together tightly with string.
- Break a popsicle stick in half to make a paddle.
- Pit an elastic band around the stern (back) end of the boat.
- Slip the paddle in between the elastic band.
- Tightly tie string on each side of the paddle to keep it in place.
- Wind up the paddle by turning it away from the boat.
- Hold the paddle so it doesn’t unwind. Put the boat in water and watch it move! The paddle will rotate around and around, pushing the water and moving the boat.
- Fun Science Activities for Kids – used with permission