Rainbows have fascinated people for ages, and are pretty to look at. Some people pretend to believe that there is a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. You can only make a rainbow if there is some sunshine. So don’t try this on a cloudy day.
To make a rainbow you need:
- a shallow pan, such as a cake pan
- some water
- a mirror
- Fill the pan halfway with some water.
- Place the pan of water in some sunshine
- Angle the mirror in the water. Move it around until it reflects the sunlight back up through the water and on to a wall. Voila! A rainbow!
- pictured: This image shows the colors reflected from a thin film of water depending on the thickness of the film and the angle of incidence.
- Fun Science Activities for Kids – used with permission