creative thinking – coming up with innovative ideas
- ways to verify a [calculated value, derived formula]
- ways to determine a physical property or process variable …
- uses for [a specified object, a waste product]
- ways to improve a [process, product, experiment, procedure, computer code]
- real-world applications of a [theory, formula, …]
- safety or environmental concerns in [an experiment, a process, a plant]
- flaws in a proposed design or procedure
- benefits of doing something differently from how it is normally done
critical thinking – making judgments or choices and backing them up with evidence and logic
- Critical thinking: Learner demonstrates critical thinking by assessing and evaluating perspectives, opinions and issues raised in the course.
- Reflective learning: Learner demonstrates reflective practice by providing examples of how new topics relate to previous experience and provides examples of new things learned on the course.
- Peer support: Learner provides peer-learning support by objectively evaluating a minimum of three of the same e-Learning activities of fellow students as assigned by the peer evaluation system.
Critical thinking (4 points)
Does the learner think critically about the topic at hand?
0 = Learner accepts things at face value without questioning or analysis
2 = Learner assesses perspectives and opinions gained from the course
4 = Learner assesses and evaluates perspectives and opinions and links this with own perspectives on the issue.
Meet the people who demonstrate Critical Thinking
- MacGyver – from the TV show – a ficticious secret agent Angus MacGyver, who works as a troubleshooter for the fictional Phoenix Foundation in Los Angeles and as an agent for a fictional United States government agency. Educated as a scientist, MacGyver, resourceful and possessed of an encyclopedic knowledge of the physical sciences, he solves complex problems with everyday materials he finds at hand, along with his ever-present duct tape and Swiss Army knife.
- Mark Watney – main character in the novel and movie The Martian