using technology to support the design process for solving problems and improving lives
- design thinking * benefiting society * Grand Challenges for Engineering * UN Sustainable Development Goals * Global Learning xPrize * competitions awards * The Tech Awards
- design, problem solving, engineering * [/Design Design] – IDEO videos * failure * questions
- Technology Design Process * steps of the technological design process * shoes toys
- [/design%20thinking design thinking] * visualization * CAD * VR / AR * [/spatial%20thinking spatial thinking] * isometric drawings – perspective
- ] * [/simple%20machines simple machines] * wheels * [/roller%20coaster roller coaster] – [/Design%20a%20Roller%20Coaster design] * [/balloon%20rocket%20car balloon rocket car]
- structures * bridge [/Chair%20model chair] tower
- motors * gears
- electronics * [/sensors sensors] feedback control systems
- programming * math games * user interface design
- [/design%20nature nature] * robotic arm based on elephant trunk arthropods * [/prosthetics%20design prosthetics design] * hand
- careers * [/industrial%20design industrial design]
- using technology to support the design process for solving problems and improving lives.
- developing technologies to benefit society.
We will explore some engineering challenges. The UN has identified seventeen Global Sustainability Goals to improve the lives of millions of people around the world. The Global Learning xPrize competition is looking to help bring education to more than 200 million kids where there are no teachers.
We can help. The projects in this module will focus on using technology and design to solve these important problems.
“We’re not experts in any given area; we’re experts in the process of how you design stuff.” – David Kelley, IDEO. See how the design company IDEO works to solve problems like these.
- What does being a designer mean to you? (video 2:44) – IDEO staff talk about their understanding of what it means to be a designer.
- IDEO Shopping Cart (video 8:13) – one conversation at a time. stay focused on topic. encourage wild ideas. defer judgement. build on the ideas of others. enlightened trial and error. fail often to succeed sooner. time constraints
Quiz : Design is… Answer these questions based on the videos
1. Design is…
- like a scientific process
- is solving problems
- creating new things that make people’s lives better
- about seeing things around you
- making anything a bit better
Discussion : Technology benefiting society
Review one of these articles. For one of the problems described, suggest some ideas for how technology could be used to solve the problem.
- Global Learning xPrize – The challenge: Develop new learning solutions to empower children and communities around the world.
- Grand Challenges for Engineering in the 21st Century – From urban centers to remote corners of Earth, the depths of the oceans to space, humanity has always sought to transcend barriers, overcome challenges, and create opportunities that improve life in our part of the universe.
- UN Sustainable Development Goals – End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
Review the ideas of three others. Provide some suggestions that they might consider to improve or extend their solution.