Summer of Code 2014 – Google Summer of Code is a global program that offers students stipends to write code for open source projects. We have worked with the open source community to identify and fund exciting projects for the upcoming summer.
- reporting, evaluation
- open source contribution, sharing
- mailing list for the mentors, but the mentors seem to prefer sending mail directly to me (and I typically respond in the way the mail was sent)… so that means that other mentors don’t get to see a lot of the discussion.
- At the start of the project Akash and I chatted on IRC, but since 99% of the time we were the only ones there, we have been using Google chat more than IRC for the past month.
- We do have the weekly Friday afternoon (Thursday evening US time) G+ video hangouts, typically with Akash, Wayne, Timothy and me. Luis has not been around, but part of that is the time zone difference with Spain.
- Benetech – a nonprofit organization developing open source software in the areas of global literacy, human rights and the environment.