Standardization – the process of developing and implementing technical standards. Standardization can help to maximize compatibility, interoperability, safety, repeatability, or quality.
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
History of standardization
- money – coins, shells
- Roman roads
- road signs – stop, warnings, directions
- hazmat – hazardous materials
- airports – runways, taxiways
- international symbols – restrooms, handicapped
- product bar codes
- QR codes
Engineering – one of the things that engineers are good at is finding ways to make things better. By agreeing on standards, products and services that comply with the standards can be used without having to specific, check and workout a lot of details.
- [/Engineering%20standards Engineering standards] – electrical, construction, manufacturing