Learn how satellites work in outer space and why they are important, then design and build your own!
- Satellites – How do satellites stay in orbit? How do they communicate information? Here are some ways we explored satellites recently.
- Satellites iGEW 3/27/15
- Reading Satellite Images – number of related images, observations, discussion about satellites, vocabulary – could be expanded to use Google Earth
- NASA IMAGE satellite activities – more than 100 activities. Old but most activities still interesting and appropriate.
- Creating an Action / Reaction Model – to better understand how rockets and satellites change direction.
- On Stage for Orbit – to understand how a satellite can stay in orbit around the earth; to discover why it takes a two stage rocket to put a satellite into orbit.
- Satellites in Orbit – To demonstrate two forces acting on a satellite.
- Oval Orbits – To introduce the concept of orbit and to observe that objects can orbit in both oval and circular orbits.
- TILT! – To demonstrate that satellites pass over different parts of the Earth on each revolution because the Earth is rotating beneath it.