Tie Dye and Forensics – Make a Tie Dye Bandana while you learn about chromatography and how it isused in forensics to catch criminals!
- SWE Space Coast IGEW 3/28/2015 – permanent markers, white bandana, rubbing alcohol
- SWE Space Coast IGEW 2014 – instructions are in the file. We used to use the red paint buckets to do the alcohol over. Someone a couple years ago changed to doing it over a plastic plate — not sure why. Did have a lot of complaints about the fumes. They started putting a couple tables outside and doing the alcohol outside. This module doesn’t use up the 45 minutes. The last time I “managed” volunteers, I had them do candy chromatography along with it — using M&M’s and Reeses pieces.
- Capillary Action, from W. W. Norton & Co.
- Paper Chromatography Science Background, from Florida Institute for Human & Machine Cognition
- Overview of Food Ingredients, Additives and Colors, from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Candy Chromatography: What Makes Those Colors?, from Science Buddies