K-8 Engineering MOOC
Explore . Create . Improve – Boston Museum EiE
- information, short description, links
- What’s the Problem – Engineering Design Process
- Engineering ideas – vocabulary, concepts
- Learn more… – more resources
- Retracting Cat’s Claw – There are many examples of engineering in nature. A cat’s retractable claws make use of a lever. When not needed for hunting or self-defense, climbing, kneading, or for extra traction on soft surfaces, the cat retracts its claws.
- Roller Coaster – In the early days of roller coaster loops, circular loops were used. There were a variety of problems, some of which resulted in fatalities, as the result of the use of these circular loops.
- wikieducator * modules with multiple topics activities questions * weekly
- discussions, sharing * public, private, monitoring, publish approval
- WordPress * Engineering 4 Kids
- Engineering in 5 minutes – These Engineering resources are quick – videos, quizzes, facts of the day, interesting images. Great as “do now” work at the beginning or end of class
2016.11 – https://engineering4kids.org/ – diigo e4k > wikieducator > news – ? terry – kids exploration
Engineering in 5 minutes – These Engineering resources are quick – videos, quizzes, facts of the day, interesting images. Great as “do now” work at the beginning or end of class.
2. Entrance Work/Do Now/Bell Ringer “When I was in college they called this the “Anticipatory Set” but who likes that name! Traveling around the country I’ve heard entrance work, do now, bell ringer, take 5, and the list goes on and on. Think about your favorite TV show. Now, the next time you watch it notice how the first few minutes are full of action and catch your attention right away. That’s what the first five minutes of class should look like as well. Get ’em thinking!”
2017.02 – hovercraft, clocks, nanomedicine
“Nanomedicine is the medical application of nanotechnology. The approaches to nanomedicine range from the medical use of nanomaterials, to nanoelectronic biosensors, and even possible future
What Is Nanotechnology? | Wonderopolis
“Nanotechnology is a broad term that encompasses technology, science, and engineering across many different fields, such as chemistry, biology, and physics.
“hovercraft, a craft capable of travelling over land, water, mud or ice and other surfaces both at speed and when stationary. They operate by creating a cushion of high-pressure air
“Google Maps is a web mapping service application and technology It offers street maps, a route planner for traveling by foot, car, bike (beta), or with public transportation
How Gears Work | HowStuffWorks
“Gears are used in tons of mechanical devices. They do several important jobs, but most important, they provide a gear reduction in motorized equipment.
“A watch is a timepiece, typically worn either on the wrist or attached on a chain and carried in a pocket. Wristwatches are the most common type of watch used today. Watches evolved in the 1700s
“A clock is an instrument for measuring, indicating and maintaining the time.The clock is one of the oldest human inventions, meeting the need to consistently measure intervals of time
How Did People Keep Time Before Clocks? | Wonderopolis
“many ancient peoples, including the ancient Babylonians, Egyptians, Chinese, and Hindus, divided the Sun’s cycle into different timekeeping periods.
2017.01 – Engineering in 5 minutes
These Engineering resources are quick – videos, quizzes, facts of the day, interesting images. Great as bell work at the beginning or end of class.
Video . DESIGN SQUAD GLOBAL | PBS KIDS
“3D-Design Problem Bank See how members of the Design Girls Team at Brookwood School use 3D printing to solve problems for people in their community.”
DESIGN SQUAD NATION . Video | PBS KIDS GO!
“Rescue Robot – A mother of three, Debbie Theobald knows all about coming to the rescue. Watch how Debbie and a team of engineers bring to life BEAR, a robot designed to remove people from danger
Engineering Is – YouTube
” Engineering Is KQED QUEST8 videos Simulating Earthquakes with a Shaking Table | Engineering Is 5:01 Converting Buses into Mobile Showers for the Homeless
USA Science & Engineering Festival 2016 Recap – YouTube
“The 4th USA Science & Engineering Festival attracted over 365K visitors to the Washington, DC Convention Center in April of 2016. With thousands of hands-on STEM activities
Hair simulation overview | Simulation (video) | Khan Academy
“Hair simulation overview – Pixar software developer talks about the creation of the simulation of hair for the main characterin in the movie Brave.”
Autodesk 123D Make
“3D meets DIY. 123D Make lets you turn 3D models into 2D build plans with animated assembly instructions.”
Engineering News — ScienceDaily
” Engineering examples 3-D Printing Aviation Biometric Civil Engineering Construction Detectors Electronics Forensic Research Graphene Materials Science”
The Engineering Daily – The fun and informative online magazine for engineers
Engineering Daily provides a way for engineers to access useful and informative information about engineering. We like to think of ourselves as the #1 website for engineers.
Apple – Downloads – Dashboard Widgets – Todays Birthdays: scientists, engineers, inventors
“About Todays Birthdays: scientists, engineers, inventors Celebrates, for each day of the year, the birth of at least one scientist, engineer, or inventor.
Wonderopolis | Where the Wonders of Learning Never Cease | Wonderopolis
Welcome to Wonderopolis®, a place where natural curiosity and imagination lead to exploration and discovery in learners of all ages. Each day, we pose an intriguing question and explore it </div>