Machine – a tool containing one or more parts that uses energy to perform an intended action. Machines are usually powered by mechanical, chemical, thermal, or electrical means, and are often motorized. Historically, a power tool also required moving parts to classify as a machine. However, the advent of electronics has led to the development of power tools without moving parts that are considered machines.
- simple machine is a device that simply transforms the direction or magnitude of a force
- complex machines – vehicles, electronic systems, molecular machines, computers, television, and radio.
Some examples of machines by use
- industrial – process machinery and equipment for food, beverage, chemical, cosmetic, mining, packaging, and pharmaceutical industries
- woodworking – planers, dovetailers, jointers, lathes, compressors, routers
- metalworking – boring mills, lathes, planers, press brakes, shears, machining centers, rotary tables, cranes
- steel fabrication equipment – drill and cutting machinery, brakes and shears, iron workers, band and circular saws, pipe and tube benders, hydraulic punches, hydraulic press brakes, closed end and open throat pneumatic cleatfolders, single and double sided manual cheekbenders
- farm, agricultural
- inspection, measuring, layout
Vintage machinery – web site is devoted to information on the history, restoration and use of vintage woodworking machinery.
- Historical information on every known manufacturer of wood-working and metal-working machinery as well as steam and gas engines in North America in the Manufacturers Index
- Downloadable publications of historical catalogs, manuals and other documents in Publication Reprints
- Photos of vintage machines owned and restored by our members in the Photo Index
- Technical Information on the restoration and use of vintage machinery in the Vintage Machinery Wiki/Knowledge Base
- energy, power, motor,
Challenges for you to work on…
- Fidgit – a puzzle game where you solve challenges and save tiny creatures called Fidgits! Think fast and manipulate blocks, springs, funnels, and other objects to bring the Fidgits home safely.
- Fidgit Factory – Make your own Fidgits in the Fidgit Factory! The Fidgits need help getting ready for their dance party. Set up your factory, and then start dressing up the Fidgits to win points. Hurry up and make them all before your power runs out!