General resources used frequently
- Physics Classroom Flickr Gallery – great photos of Physics topics
- Wikipedia for Schools is a selection taken from the original English-language Wikipedia by the child sponsorship charity SOS Children. It was created as a checked and child-friendly teaching resource for use in schools in the developing world and beyond.Sources and authors can be found at http://www.wikipedia.org. See also our Disclaimer. These articles are available under the Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike Version 3.0 Unported Licence.
- Wikimedia Commons – is a media file repository making available public domain and freely-licensed educational media content (images, sound and video clips) to everyone, in their own language. It acts as a common repository for the various projects of the Wikimedia Foundation
- Wikipedia for Schools – This selection of articles from Wikipedia matches the UK National Curriculum and can be used by school children around the world. 6000 articles, 26 million words and 50,000 images
- Design and Technology : Engineering – Engineering is the application of science, technology, mathematics, art, and practical experience to the design and production of objects, tools or processes. Professional practitioners of engineering are called engineers.
STEM news, updates
- IEEE Spectrum – magazine, news, information, articles
- Science 360 – Science360 Knowledge Network provides series that showcase the latest wonders of science, engineering, technology and math.
- BCoE: Engineering News – University of Mississippi Bagley College of Engineering
- Wordsmyth – online dictionary – in addition the definitions includes links to related words and topics
- Science for Kids – Engineering – Discover the world of engineering for kids with our range of free games, cool science fair projects, fun experiments, interesting facts, amazing videos, quizzes, worksheets and more! Learn about bridges, buildings, electricity, flight and all kinds of interesting engineering topics.
- 43 Must-have STEM apps
Online, free – textbooks, reference books
also see Learn more… in individual stories
- What to do and how to do it; the American boys handy book – An 1890 manual of pastimes which includes instructions for making kites, fishing poles, a blow gun, and theatrical costumes, and for raising dogs, stuffing animals, stocking an aquarium, and camping.
- 10 Sources for Free Textbooks Online – collected hundreds of textbooks and are providing them for free, giving every child an equal opportunity to lean!
- Automotive Systems
- Engineering Thermodynamics
- Engineering toolbox – online resource, standards, specifications, conventions
- AC 43.13-1B – Acceptable Methods, Techniques, and Practices – Aircraft Inspection and Repair – FAA manual available as .pdf files
Engineering is the designed world – creating solutions with ideas, processes, tools, exploring the “designed world” that is different from scientific method and the natural world.
- Distinguishing between the natural and human made world, such as comparing tools with animal body parts, e.g., scissors vs. lobster claws and dog paws vs. rakes.
- Engineering Design Process – all engineers follow this general process to design solutions. Solve the Engineering Design Challenges the way engineers do following the Engineering Design Process. Starting with a need, ask questions, explore possibilities, design and build a solution, and suggest improvements for Show and Tell (explaining, demonstrating and sharing).
- The Right Question – asking questions is even more important than knowing the answers
Engineering school and real world problem solving – What you learn in Engineering School may not apply to what you do as an engineer in the world of work. You will likely be doing something way more interesting and important. Most engineers work on problems that didn’t exist when they were engineering students. That’s the exciting part of being an engineer. You have all the preparation, skills and knowledge needed to go out and solve the problems of the world. When you graduate from Engineering school you just don’t know that yet.
- US FIRST
- Baja Car
- Solar Challenge