Engineering is about problem solving. Many of life’s little problems can be solved by an engineer with the right tools.
10 Must-have Tools for Any Workshop – For a well-stocked workspace, a few multipurpose tools for routine home maintenance or the occasional DIY (Do It Yourself) improvement project.
- Duct tape
- Screw driver
- Utility knife
- Tape measure
The ABCs of Hand Tools (video 18:08) – Disney produced training video for GM about proper use of hand tools in 1945. The narrated animated production describes hand tools in detail and includes for tips for using each one safely.
What’s the problem?
- Ask – Everyone needs to fix stuff from time to time. Having a few tools saves a lot of time and expense. The list above is a suggestion. What “fixes” do you need to make? Do you need a different set of tools?
- Imagine – There are hundreds of different “tools” and dozens of sizes of each of those. There are specialty tools, adjustable tools and tools with interchangeable parts. What are some specific needs you have? Is there a tool for that?
- Design, Build – Selecting a basic set of tools based on your needs can be a challenge. What are the most likely needs? What tools are the most versatile and can be used to do several jobs?
- Improve – What tools would be nice to have? Is there an situation that would require some special purpose tool that might not get used much but would save a lot of work or money is you had one when you needed it?
- problem solving, leverage, mechanical advantage, twisting force, leverage, rachet
Here are some challenges for you to work on…
- design (and build) as simple project to demonstrate using most or all of the tools listed. Your project can be practical, like a toolbox, or decorative, such as wall art or a garden sculpture.
- 10 Must-have Tools for Any Workshop – For a well-stocked workspace, a few multipurpose tools for routine home maintenance or the occasional DIY improvement project.