There are plenty of lists of Greatest… Here are some of the lists. There are many duplicates and items that appear on most lists.
- The 50 Greatest Breakthroughs Since the Wheel Why did it take so long to invent the wheelbarrow? Have we hit peak innovation? What our list reveals about imagination, optimism, and the nature of progress.
- The Original 7 Wonders of the Ancient World – Most of the original ancient wonders no longer exist. More than 2,000 years ago, many travelers wrote about incredible sights they had seen on their journeys. Over time, seven of those places made history as the “wonders of the ancient world.
- Wonders of the Modern World * Channel Tunnel (England & France) * CN Tower (Toronto, Canada) * Empire State Building (New York, United States) * Golden Gate Bridge (San Francisco, United States) * Itaipu Dam (Brazil/Paraguay) * North Sea Protection Works (Netherlands) * Panama Canal (Panama)
Greatest Engineering Achievements of the 20th Century
- living together, better living * Engineering and Society 1. Electrification 10. Air Conditioning and Refrigeration 4. Water Supply and Distribution 15. Household Appliances Florida history, water distribution, purification, waste disposal, electricity, telecommunications
- BASE – engineering of interesting structures that people jump off, modern buildings, antennas, spans (bridges), and earth (cliffs), construction – Bridges – Golden Gate, Tacoma Narrows roller coaster , Eiffel tower , Frank Gehry designed EMP Museum Seattle , bridge made of plastic grocery bags about 3:00min , skyscrapers stresses and strains
- Land, sea and air – transportation, communication 2. Automobile 3. Airplane 5. Electronics 6. Radio and Television 8. Computers 9. Telephone 11. Highways 13. Internet , steam, railroads , Jet engine , Radial engine , Wankel engine , airplane construction
- Energy, mining, natural resources 17. Petroleum and Petrochemical Technologies 19. Nuclear Technologies – nano solar steam – cook waste mediation
- tools for discovery and scientific inquiry, measurement, observation 12. Spacecraft 14. Imaging 18. Laser and Fiber Optics – telescope – early, Hubble , navigation – sextant, sonar, GPS , lighthouse Fresnel lens , microscope
- engineering in life sciences – health and well being 16. Health Technologies – stethoscope, MRI, CAT scan, robotic surgery, hip replacements, prosthetic, dialysis , MRI
- food and agriculture 7. Agricultural Mechanization – peanut harvesting