You can make metal float on water! Although it seems impossible, the surface tension on water can keep metal from sinking.
To make metal float on water you need:
- a paperclip
- a glass of water
- a small piece of paper towel
- Fill the glass with water.
- Lay a small torn off piece of paper towel on the surface of the water.
- Gently place a paperclip on the paper towel.
- Watch patiently.
- The paper towel will eventually sink to the bottom of the glass, but the paperclip will stay resting on the water.
Challenges for you to work on… Learn more…
- Fun Science Activities for Kids – used with permission