Energy Energy is the ability to do work. Energy comes in different forms:
- Heat (thermal)
- Light (radiant)
- Motion (kinetic)
- Nuclear energy
Energy is an abstract quantity with several definitions, depending on the form of energy being discussed. Energy – is a measure of the ability to do mechanical work. It is a fundamental concept pertaining to the ability for action.
- Work (W) – energy expended by exerting a force (F) over a distance (d). For example pushing a heavy object – the farther you push it, the more work you do.
- Potential energy (PE) – work done by moving a weight (w) a vertical distance (H). Climbing stairs, you are moving your body weight higher with each step. Force is weight and distance is height. This is a special case of the work equation.
- Kinetic energy (KE) – a form of energy of an object in motion.
Conservation of energy https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/thermo1f.html
- Thermal energy or heat (Q) is energy associated with a change in temperature
- Chemical energy – energy stored in chemical bonds, which can be released through exothermic reactions. The sources of chemical energy include wood, coal, crude oil, just about any combustible organic material.
main types of energy — potential, kinetic, mechanical, sound, chemical, thermal, electromagnetic (solar) and nuclear
Units. Joule. British thermal unit btu.
transferring energy – conduction, convection and radiation
Energy Conversion including focus on Internal Combustion Engine, Nuclear Engineering, Power, Solar Energy and Advanced Energy Systems.
- potential energy is stored energy. For example, when you hold down a spring it contains potential energy before you release it.
- kinetic – characterized by movement; pertaining to or caused by motion
- energy, power, work, combustion, temperature
Now it is your turn. Here are some challenges for you to work on…
- Energy Skate Park – Learn about conservation of energy with a skater dude! Build tracks, ramps and jumps for the skater and view the kinetic energy, potential energy and friction as he moves. You can also take the skater to different planets or even space!
- kinetic energy games – six website offer some great tools to introduce kids to one of the most fun forms of energy to play with.