“We’re not experts in any given area; we’re experts in the process of how you design stuff.” – David Kelley, IDEO
What does being a designer mean to you? (video 2:44) – IDEO staff talk about their understanding of what it means to be a designer.
IDEO Shopping Cart (video 8:13) – one conversation at a time. stay focused on topic. encourage wild ideas. defer judgement. build on the ideas of others. enlightened trial and error. fail often to succeed sooner. time constraints
- outline, list
- software applications
- Father of Industrial design – Raymond Loewy, the late industrial designer of the Coca-Cola bottle who was also involved in creating the Shell, Exxon, TWA and former BP logos. Loewy’s slenderised design for an S1 steam locomotive that saw service in the eastern US. Described by admirers as the “father of industrial design”, Loewy died in 1986 at the age of 92.
Meet an Industrial designer
- Judy Lee (video 2:07) – Mechanical engineer, industrial designer, IDEO, designs everything from children’s toys to cool pet products.
Here are some challenges for you to work on…
- [/Idea%20Sketch Idea Sketch] (visual aids, app, free) – lets you easily draw a diagram – mind map, concept map, or flow chart – brainstorming new ideas, illustrating concepts, making lists and outlines, planning presentations, …
- Google SketchUp (3d modeling, desktop)- Model anything you can imagine. Redecorate your living room. Invent a new piece of furniture. Model your city for Google Earth. There’s no limit to what you can create with SketchUp. Dozens of video tutorials, an extensive Help Center and a worldwide user community are available to get you going.
- 123D Design (3d modeling, app, free) – choose one of the basic shapes and then edit it to be just what you want. Easily connect one shape to another to make more detailed creations.