Music – an art form whose medium is sound and silence. Its common elements are pitch (which governs melody and harmony), rhythm (and its associated concepts tempo, meter, and articulation), dynamics, and the sonic qualities of timbre and texture.
- Sound – a wave that is created by vibrating objects and propagated through a medium from one location to another.
- How music works (podcast 19:21)
- Physics of DIY instruments (video 3:34) – making music with garbage and found items
Audio engineering concerns the creative and practical aspects of sounds including speech and music, as well as the development of new audio technologies and advancing scientific understanding of audible sound.
Audio Engineer – is concerned with the recording, manipulation, mixing and reproduction of sound.
- creatively use technologies to produce sound for film, radio, television, music, electronic products and computer games.
- a scientist or professional engineer who designs, develops and builds new audio technologies working within the field of acoustical engineering.
What’s the problem?
- Ask –
- Imagine –
- Design, Build –
- Improve –
- medium, sound, silence, pitch, harmony, tempo, meter, articulation, dynamics, sonic, timbre, wave, frequency
Challenges for you to work on…
- String Thing? – Make your own music! Customize a virtual string instrument to play a song you write. Choose from three different instrument sounds. Then add a funky beat and play it back.
- Make one of these flutes – B-Flat Fife (Revolutionary War-Style) – Normally made of wood, but other materials (PVC pipe) may also be used for the fun of it. Dimensions based on Cooperman recreation, or G Flute from PVC Plumbing