Artificial intelligence (AI) refers to a branch of computer science that is focused on making computers behave in human-like instances. Artificial intelligence plays a part in computer games, simulations and even online chat bots.
Artificial Intelligence (or AI) is both the intelligence of machines and the branch of computer science which aims to create it, through “the study and design of intelligent agents” or “rational agents”, where an intelligent agent is a system that perceives its environment and takes actions which maximize its chances of success. General intelligence or strong AI has not yet been achieved and is a long-term goal of AI research.
Among the traits that researchers hope machines will exhibit are reasoning, knowledge, planning, learning, communication, perception and the ability to move and manipulate objects.
- Robot videos 2013 – collection of stories and robot videos from 2013. These robots incorporate artificial intelligence and are autonomous. WildCat – fastest legged robot, ATLAS – hydraulically powered humanoid robot, NASA JSC’s Valkyrie DRC robot, and more.
- Artificial Intelligence (video) – “The daily grinding of evolution, as accelerated by technology, churns out more and more complex organisms, with higher rates of energy use, and with increasing specialization. Minds are the ideal way to express complexity, energy density, increasing specialization, expanding diversity — all in one system. Mindedness is what evolution produces. Mindedness is what technology wants, too.” Kevin Kelly
- OPI Inteligencia Participativa – The power of the crowd is driving the future of leadership – In Mexico, those without access to the Internet have limited ways to voice their opinions on public policy. Video survey tools that increase participation by all segments. Engaged 80,000 people in previously apathetic communities. Traditional pen-and-paper techniques for data collection are cheap and easy to scale. Unfortunately, these methods generate information that is difficult to analyze, systematize and share. By implementing innovative digital technologies developed by our software team, we accelerate analysis and data usability while dramatically increasing efficiency. We bring private sector methods to grassroots organizations and community stakeholders at an affordable cost, delivering results in record time. As one of the The Tech Awards 2013 Laureates this project has been recognized as providing an innovative solution to a problem with significant social impact.
Meet the people
- Angelica Lim – I create musical robots that can play duets. Angelica works in an area of computer science called artificial intelligence (AI), which makes it possible for her robot to learn from and adapt to its environment. “With my software, the robot can take information from its video camera and microphones and understand the world around it.”
Computers can do math
Four Color Map Theorem – The four color theorem was the first major theorem to be proven using a computer, and the proof is not accepted by all mathematicians because it would be unfeasible for a human to verify by hand (see computer-assisted proof). Ultimately, in order to believe the proof, one has to have faith in the correctness of the compiler and hardware executing the program used for the proof. The perceived lack of mathematical elegance by the general mathematical community was another factor, and to paraphrase comments of the time, “a good mathematical proof is like a poem—this is a telephone directory!”
What’s the problem? Find all records where name is “SMITH”
Probably the single most challenging problem in computer science is to develop computers that can understand natural languages. So far, the complete solution to this problem has proved elusive, although a great deal of progress has been made.
- autonomous, hydraulic, computer science, compiler, hardware,