What problems do you want to solve?
- use the classic Engineering Design Process – ask, imagine, design / build (plan/ create / experiment), improve
- build a tower with marshmallows and toothpicks
Engineering Design Process
- NASA Now: Designing a New Martian Rover (video 6:20) – Aerospace engineer Jennifer Keyes shows how NASA engineers developed “TumbleCup,” a concept rover capable of traveling large distances on Mars. Engineering Design Process (4:33) – ask, imagine, plan, create, experiment, improve – YouTube
- Engineering Design Process form – Google docs
What’s the problem?
Marshmallow Towers (video 1:47) – Lucie and Bianca teach kids concepts of architecture and structural engineering through marshmallow towers
- build the tallest stable structure you can with 50 mini-marshmallows and 100 toothpicks